THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

our future author and story teller

Since Cameron was little he has had a very vivid imagination. He was always telling us stories about his toys and what adventure they were going on. This past month though has been different. Instead of being stories they have become real life to him. I don't know what to make of it. On one hand it is good that he uses his imagination to write in his journal or play with his toys. But on the other it is really hard to understand why he tells family, friends and his teacher outlandish tales. Here is an example, at his school they have an after school program called KIDS EXPRESS. It is for kids that's parents work until 5 and can not come to pick them up until then. My friend Jamie and I have an arrangement that her husband brings the kids and I pick them up. Since I am able to pick them up at 3:05 when they get out of school there is no need for kids express. Cameron had told his teacher last week that I was not going to be able to pick him up that day and that he needed to go to kids express. Mrs Lopez said I think your mom would have sent me a note if this was the case. But Cameron insisted and I guess made a very valid argument why he was supposed to go. So Mrs Lopez brought him down there only to discover that he was not registered for the program. After she decided to bring him to the parent pick up, where I normally pick him up. To discover that Brett had been waiting there for him. She told Brett what had happened. When Cameron got in to the car Brett said Cameron why did you tell Mrs Lopez that story? Cameron said I wanted to stay at school because I love it. I know that should be comforting that he likes school. But it is scary to me that he can convince an adult of something that she knows to be wrong. Then on a completely different day he was riding to school and told Bill (the other kids father of the car pool) that the guy that was singing on the radio was my friend Jill's Boyfriend! That he was a rapper that wrote and sang the song that was playing on the radio. WHAT? I don't even know how he knows the word rapper let alone comes up with the story. Bill that night called to see if the story was true. I don't know how he can pull one over on so many adults. I just wonder if this is going to continue. Or what story he is going to come up with next. I don't want to start questioning weather or not what he says to be true. Brett and I are working on the difference between stories and lying. I do not want this to turn it to the boy who cried wolf situation. When he really does want to tell me something important and I then waver on it's truth. I hope this is a faze.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Oh I fear for your future and for his. If he can convince people at the age of five there's not telling what he'll be able to convince people of when he's older! Good luck with this!

Amie said...

I honestly don't think that you should worry too much. My kids also have very vivid imaginations, and have been known to come up with some outlandish stories on occasion. I think as long as they know that lying isn't nice, or right then all is good. Stories, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, are OK. Maybe Cameron just thought that knowing a rapper would make him sound cool. LOL! That one kills me! What a crack up.

Amie said...

Oh, and maybe he'll grow up to be a successful salesman? Having the ability to convince someone of something could always work in his favor. LOL!

Sarah said...

Kids are so funny. Mine have been known to tell some whoppers, but none as good as the rapper one! That is really funny. I don't know what to say. Kids will be kids! You always love them, but sometimes you want to strangle them too!